Wednesday, November 18, 2009

On keeping my vow to never touch a dead mouse.

This is KwanYong.


He's our foreign exchange student from Korea, and we all like him a lot.

Though, I didn't know how very much I appreciated the culture he brings into our house until today.
*

This morning, as the kids were getting ready to go outside I heard Becca scream, "There's a dead mouse!"

Sure enough, lying frozen on the ground was a dead-dead-dead mouse, eyes all open and beady. Ugh.

"Andrew!" I squealed to our oldest, "You have to handle this for me! I can't do mice. Please get a shovel and scoop it up." He promptly started searching for the needed item, when I saw KwanYong standing there silently.

"Kwan Yong!" I squealed, again, "YOU should be doing this. You're closer to being a grown man than anyone else in this garage."

"What-do-you-want-me-to-do?" he asked. I rolled my eyes back sarcastically, then ran inside to get a plastic bag. While frantically searching for the trash bag, commercial-grade Lysol, and an orange Toxic Waste clean-up suit, KwanYong came into the kitchen cool as a cucumber, opened a drawer, then walked back outside.

Suddenly, cheers erupt from the garage. "Yay! Hooray! Go KwanYong!"

It seems our Korean boarder had a real break through here in America, today. He became a true man. The kind that saves a garage full of screaming damsels from dragons, disease, and mice.

*

*
I always knew we'd experience life-changing moments of culture and friendship through this exchange student thing.
*
Thanks, KwanYong. Kamsahamnida.

No comments:

Post a Comment