Thursday, January 7, 2010

Non Years Resolutions


There's too much to do. There just is.
Am I the only one getting that, or are you looking at your stack of notebooks and thinking
"There must be a reason I can't accomplish these deep-seated desires."
Well. I've figured out why all those whimiscal inspirations come into mind, then sit like a still life in pencil upon yellowing lined paper.
*
It's because there's too much to do. There just is.
Things like writing a book, and opening a shelter for orphans, and becoming generally superhuman tend to have to be put off when your children have neither a clean shirt or folded pair of pyjama pants.
*
There's too much to do. There just is.
Which is why, this year, I didn't set a single New Year's Resolution.
I tend to make themfar too hopeful. Too grand. Too magnificent or magnanimous.
And, when I find myself falling short year-after-year, it feels rather devastating.
*
Which is why, this year I am moving forward with a new chapter for Cheeky Notebooks.
Rather than digging through the past to plan my future,
I'm letting each day decide what it's resolution shall be.
Will three-hundred-and-sixty-five-days of teensy accomplishments add up to a better me.
Grief sakes. I hope so.
*
This will also be the place where memorable, random tidbits come up every so often.
And, who knows what else you may find here. Because, after all.
There's too much to do. There just is.
I suppose the least we can do is just start doing it all a little bit at a time. Eh?
*
Any New Years Resolutions for You?

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you Brooke - no new year's resolutions for me. I did find out though that a friend and her kids made one - they want to go to NYC w. me and the kids b/c I've never been! Now that's a great twist on a resolution - someone else makes one for you! I'm already thinking of lining up my dog sitting friends so we can go (when it warms up a bit)!
    kct

    ReplyDelete